Thursday, April 22, 2010

ultrasounds are exciting!

So tomorrow we have an ultrasound. I'm really excited because I'll be 12 weeks and I think that the baby should be pretty visible from the external ultrasound at that point.  Well, at least I hope it will be!

I should probably mention that I've had some complications so far with this pregnancy and I have spent the last four weeks or so on modified rest. It's not total bed-rest but it is very much, "stay off your feet, take it way easy and don't lift anything at all" rest.  I haven't been allowed to walk for more than 15 minutes or so at a time, not allowed to grocery shop or make dinner or carry anything and have been encouraged to stay off my feet as much as possible.

This is all because of some bleeding I had in week 7 of my pregnancy.  The bleeding was caused by a subchorionic hematoma which is just fancy medical talk for a small tear between the baby's placenta and my uterus.  The reason for the rest is to ensure that the tear heals and doesn't get worse.

Tomorrow's ultrasound should ensure that the hematoma has finally healed. At least hopefully that's what it will show us...and if not it will tell us how things look and what to continue doing in terms of my resting.

It's been a big adjustment, I've had to withdraw from school and take life completely easy.  I've been pretty bored honestly and have become best friends with Barnes and Noble and my DVR lol but ultimately it's all been worth it because as long as the baby is okay I am willing to do any and everything no matter how inconvenient it is.

One of the up sides of this has been that we've gotten to have three ultrasounds so far :) The first one we had for dating and viability purposes when I was 7 and a half weeks and the baby looked great. It had a strong heartbeat and we got a really clear image of the baby from that ultrasound:



Can you believe that's only at 7.5 weeks? The baby is facing downward for those of you who have trouble seeing anything in these (though i honestly think this is realllllly obvious) and that circle at the bottom there is the baby's yolk sack.  This is before the baby had an amniotic sac and a placenta and all that good stuff.

So yea, that was amazing!  Our next ultrasound was a few days later in the ER when i went in for the bleeding, that was just to check on the baby and make sure it was okay. It was :)

I had another one a few weeks later and that was truly amazing, we could see the baby kicking it's legs!  The heartbeat was very strong - 173 beats per minute and it was the same rate when Ry and I got to hear the heartbeat with the Doppler at my last doctors appointment on the 12th.  The nurse said we have a very active baby and that that's a good thing!

So all in all even though things have been a little crazy during this pregnancy so far and we've ended up taking some unexpected turns, I am hoping that it's all going to get better and better as we progress and move forward.  Tomorrow we'll hopefully find out what's going on with the hematoma and will have some answers.

That's all for now :) just thought i'd share the first photo we have of our sweet little baby!

love and sonograms,

Rhian

No comments:

ShareThis